Summer is drawing to a close. And while that makes me more than a little a bit sad, I’ll also be happy to no longer have to overhear the neighborhood kids whining about how they are bored or the ear-numbing / brain-freezing, repetitive, tinny tones of the ice cream van.
For those of you waking up in America, there’s another reason to celebrate this Monday morning. It’s Labor Day – the last hoorah to summer. So go ahead, press the snooze button…and keep the dream alive!
And when you do finally come to, go enjoy that pool party, beach trip or family cook out. But remember, even though you may be about to pack away your swimsuit you don’t need to sacrifice your bikini body!
And while indulging in your friend’s tasty casseroles and decadent desserts might sound tempting, we urge you to consider some simple, calorie cutting, healthier options:
- Slim down your dips: If you replace half of the mayonnaise or sour cream in your dip recipe with 0% Greek yogurt you will reduce the fat and calories significantly. And why not use sliced veggies for dipping and cucumber instead of crackers in your appetizers.
- Go easy on the carbs: Carbohydrates can leave you feeling sluggish and the calories are quickly converted to fat. So skip the pasta salad and head for the shrimp cocktail instead
- Skip the soda and beer: Soft drinks and alcohol have a lot of calories. Instead, opt for water with lots of ice and some sliced cucumber or citrus in it.
- Pile on the veggies: Instead of bacon and cheese on your burgers, choose lettuce, onion, peppers , mushrooms, fresh chili slices and tomato. They will add a ton of crunch without a lot of fat or calories. My personal favorite of the year… eggplant sliced lengthwise, drizzled in olive oil and spices then grilled or baked, instead of the bun. Try it…it’s delicious!
- Avoid processed foods: Processed foods are usually high in salt, preservatives and artificial flavors. Although sandwich meats are a popular Labor Day party food they are highly processed. Slice your own chicken, beef or ham for a tastier, healthier version.
Whatever you eat, whatever you do, whether today is a vacation or not [ and in my case it’s not], let’s start the week healthy!