After a day of over-indulging on family, food and football, now it’s time to turn your thoughts to Holiday shopping. But before heading out to join the Black Friday frenzy, SRxA’s Word on Health is here to make sure you’re prepared.
First, you need to recognize that Black Friday shopping is a sport and a dangerous sport at that! You need to prepare with the thoroughness of an Olympic athlete to outperform your competition.
And while it might be too late to get in shape for the 2012 holiday shopping season, it’s never too early to begin next year’s preparations!
The workout plan below will help you get ready to take on both the stores and the other shoppers by improving your agility to grab the best deals.
- 5-minutes on the treadmill or elliptical will help warm up your muscles in preparation for the door-opening and mad stampede that follows
- 25 x Jumping Jacks – will help to reach those must-have items on the top shelves
- 2 x Agility Ladder runs – be ready to make sharp turns while maintaining speed and control to help you avoid crowds and crush injuries
- 10 x Box Jumps – to develop lower body power and elevate your heart rate and prepare you for both the physical exertion and psychological stress of a long day of shopping
- 25 yard Bear Crawls – to help strengthen your back and core in preparation for carrying home all those bargains
- 5 x Suicide Runs – to build up your endurance and agility
- 25 x Walking Lunges – to tone up your glutes, hamstrings and quads, so you look good while you shop
- 45 x Pick Pockets. Help yourself to evade pick-pockets through these abdominal twists and turns
- 15 Push-ups. Work out all the muscles in your upper body and build optimal strength in your forearms, wrists, upper arms, shoulders and chest. All important for pushing carts and maximizing parcel carrying power.
- 10 Dumbbell Deadlifts – work your back, butt, hips and legs, ready for taking steps three at a time and gaining headway on those standing in line for the elevator
- Stretching out, eyes closed, on the recliner or arms raises with a cold adult beverage
After all – if you make it out of the mall, with body and finances still relatively intact – you’ve earned it!