We have borrowed from Ripley’s latest edition of Believe It or Not! which contains tales of unbelievable medical mishaps and amazing stories from around the world.
For example, the Chinese builder who slipped while climbing scaffolding and impaled himself on a crowbar. The offending object sliced through his chest, missing his aorta by just ½ inch
Another unlucky Chinese man accidentally swallowed a pair of scissors 3 ½ inches long and 1 ½ inches wide. He was allegedly using the scissors as a toothpick but when he suddenly laughed, they slipped down into his throat. He tried unsuccessfully to cough them back up and the scissors eventually had to be removed by surgery.
Talking of removing things, the book goes on to recount the tale of a 70-year-old woman who had been suffering from constant nosebleeds for five days. During surgery, doctors at a hospital in India removed 40 maggots from her nose. Turns out, a housefly had entered her nose and laid eggs inside it. When the eggs hatched, the larvae started feeding on her flesh, causing her nose to bleed.
Not ghoulish enough for you? Then you may want to go ahead and order your own copy of the book. Believe us there are plenty more tales awaiting those who wish Halloween would come more than once a year.